Imagine preparing your breakfast in the morning - bacon... eggs... toast... and right there in front of you, a reminder to watch The Amazing Race on CBS. It can happen. CBS plans to advertise its fall line-up on... wait for it... EGG SHELLS! CBS egg ads - sounds funny, doesn't it?
CBS will imprint its logo and eye-catching egg related taglines for three of its shows on 35 million eggs. The eggs will be sold through one grocery store chain on the east coast.
Unique and funny ads normally do well, not really from the actual advertisements, but from the media publicity that it generates. With that in mind, here are some other weird and funny ads that have been done:
- Internet casino, GoldenPalace, won an eBay auction to place a permanent ad on the forehead of a man named Brent Moffatt.
- Haagen-Dazs, in partnership with the Austrian Postal Service, had put images of Haggen-Dazs dessert on postage stamps.
- Ben Rogovy, a Seattle-based entrepreneur, created "bumvertising," a system of paying "bums," otherwise known as street beggars, to display ads on their cardboard signs.
- In Dubai, speed cameras on highways are sponsored allowing companies like HP to put their logos on them.
- Million Dollar Home Page sold 100,000 10x10 pixel ads on their internet website. A 10x10 pixel link is super small. But all 100,000 spaces sold out and the website received millions of hits.
Weird and funny ads, just like the CBS egg logos, are great for entertainment value and a lot of them work, if only for the free publicity. I can't wait to see what's next. Perhaps, one day soon, someone will figure out how to put their company's logo on the face of the moon